Friday, September 25, 2009

From the States to Sudan - Inquiring Minds Want to Know

Tucked inside my bulky, big green suitcase are letters that have been written by young people in the United States. They are addressed to our NESEI students. I think you might enjoy reading excerpts from them. It gives a glimpse of the stories and questions I will be sharing with our NESEI girls in coming days.

Brenna from Wisconsin writes: "I love to hang out with my friends. They mean the world to me. During the summer I am really involved in 4-H and I love to show cattle. When I show it reminds me of a beauty pageant for cows!...I have 3 jobs so I work all the time. One of my jobs is to milk cows and I really love it...What is your favorite subject in school? What do you like to do in your free time?"

17 year old Julia writes: "I am in the 12th grade - which is the last grade in high school. I am very excited to graduate because then I will start college and move away from my parents. Not that I don't love them, I just can't wait to be independent for the first time in my life. It's going to be an exciting adventure!"

Adriana from Indiana writes: "My school is a boy + girl school. It is not a boarding school. We go from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., then go home. I want to know about your foods. What kind do you have? In America we eat grains, meat, and dairy products. We also eat veggies and fruit."

Mackenzie from Wisconsin writes: "The things that I am a part of in school is Future Farmers of America (but we just call it FFA). I am also in choir because I love to sing. I'm not involved in any school sports but I go to the games and support my friends and cheer them on. I am also involved in a dance class after school...I am out of things to say but I'm sure once I give my letter to Anita I will think of lots more!"

Kaitlin from Illinois writes: "In my spare time, I like to read and write. I am also a girl scout. I help others by performing community service. Plus, I've been told our cookies are really good too."

9th grader Tori writes: "I will be taking a Driver's Education class this year. I'm very excited to be going into my first year of high school. I go to the library often so that I can check out new books to read...I loved my week of Sudan classes and I look forward to hearing more about all of you and doing what I can to help kids all over the world. I thank you for your wonderful influence and I can't wait to hear back from you."

We will use these letters in a variety of ways - as English lessons, writing practice, and to introduce our girls to the many kids in America who want to make a connection with them.

I wonder, what are YOUR questions for our girls? Drop me a line and I will gladly ask them on your behalf. Stay tuned to the blog for their responses.

From the road,

Anita

1 comment:

  1. Anita,
    I just saw via FB that you are posting here. I look forward to coming back and seeing the awesome things you are accomplishing in the Sudan. The excerpts from the letters are wonderful and I hope that many things are learned and wonderful connections are formed on both sides.
    Traveling mercies and peace to you, my friend!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete